Contact Us for an Initial Assessment

Fill out the form below to get in touch with our team!

  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please enter a message.
    Please select an option.

Valencia Workers' Compensation Question and Answers

Serving Clients in Santa Clarita for Work Injury Claims

Below are some frequently asked questions regarding workers' compensation. We hope this information will provide you with some general answers to some of your questions.

The information on this page in no way represents or takes the place of legal advice from a licensed attorney and is provided for informational purposes only.

We work closely with clients to educate them on their rights and legal options. Call The Bridgeford Law Office at (661) 771-3004 to schedule your initial consultation.

Employee Workers' Compensation Questions and Answers

I’ve been injured on the job. What should I do next?

First, get emergency treatment if you need it. Notify the health care provider that your injury is work-related. Next, report your injury to your employer within 30 days from the date of the injury.

If your injury or illness developed over time, report it as soon as you learn it was caused by your job. If you fail to notify your employer in time, you lose your right to obtain benefits. Finally, fill out a claim form and give it to your employer

Can I use my own doctor for a workers' comp injury?

If your employer provides workers’ comp through a certified health care network, you must select a doctor from the network’s approved provider list. If you don’t have a list readily available, you can ask your employer.

If your employer does not provide care through a network, you can either talk to your primary care provider and ask if they treat workers’ comp patients, or you can find a doctor online.

What benefits am I entitled to on workers' compensation?

If you’re injured on the job, workers’ compensation insurance provides medical care, which is paid for by your employer to help you recover from your injury.

You can also receive benefits for temporary disability, permanent disability, and supplemental job displacement, depending on the severity and length of your injury. Death benefits are also available if a worker is killed.

When can I return to work after an injury?

As soon as you’re cleared by your doctor, employer, and claims administrator, you can return back to work. If a doctor decides you cannot return to work while recovering from your injuries, you can’t be forced to go back to work.

However, a doctor can send you back to your job with work restrictions if your employer is able to make accommodations. Depending on your injuries, you may be eligible for any number of disability benefits while you recover.

Do I need an attorney to assist me with my workers’ comp claim?

You’re not required to have an attorney for a workers’ comp claim, however, one may be beneficial under certain circumstances. If your employer denies your claim, you settlement offer doesn’t cover all your medical bills, or your boss retaliates against you for filing a claim, it’s important to enlist legal guidance.

Do I get paid if I can't work because of a work injury?

Depending upon whether or not the injury is initially accepted, if the case is not initially accepted, you will likely be in the position to request state disability through EDD. If the injury is immediately accepted by the insurance company, you will receive a similar amount through the insurance company from a benefit called temporary disability (TTD) benefits.

Interestingly, while EDD benefits/SDI can last up to one year, TTD benefits can last up to two years.

Can I be fired for filing a workers' compensation claim?

“…California Labor Code §132(a) provides strict protection for employees against employers who discriminate or retaliate against them for filing a workers’ compensation claim. A violation of this rule can result in significant penalties against the employer...”

Employer Workers' Compensation Question and Answers

Where do I get workers’ compensation insurance and how much will I pay?

As an employer, you must purchase workers’ comp from either a licensed insurance company or through the State Compensation Insurance Fund. You may also choose to self-insure. Like a consumer, you should shop around for a carrier that meets your needs and provides a fair price.

Your industry classification, company’s past history of work-related injuries and the number of employees all affect your annual premium.

What should I do if my employee gets hurt on the job?

You must provide a workers’ comp claim form to them within one working day after the date of their injury. Return a copy of the completed form to the employee within one working day of receipt. If your employees are covered by a Medical Provider Network, help arrange an initial medical evaluation with an MPN doctor.

What can I do if I think my employee’s workers’ comp claim is false?

Report your opinion to your workers’ comp claims administrator as soon as possible. Provide facts, witnesses and other evidence that may back up your claims. The California Department of Insurance (CDI) will work with other agencies to investigate possible fraud cases.

Can I get my money back if I paid an employee while they were off work?

You may be reimbursed for benefits you paid if you report the injury to the insurance carrier in a timely fashion and either (1) the insurance carrier has contested liability for the injury and you do not agree, or (2) the insurance carrier has not completed its initial investigation of the injury.

When is a work-related accident not payable under my workers’ comp insurance coverage?

An insurance carrier is not liable for benefits if:

  • The employee was injured while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • The injury was caused by the employee’s own willful attempt to injure themselves
  • A person who is not your employee injured your employee
  • The injury occurred in a voluntary off-duty recreational, social, or athletic activity
  • Horseplay caused the injury

Our Ventura Workers' Compensation Attorneys Can Help

Our experienced Ventura workers compensation attorneys have handled hundreds of cases, many of which involved complex issues and high-value claims. Our Santa Clarita work injury lawyers are dedicated to helping you achieve the results you are looking for. We will not accept settlements that are unfair to our clients.

All client calls are returned and handled by the attorney assigned to their matter(s). At our firm, we genuinely care about our clients. At The Bridgeford Law Office you are not just a number. “We’ve got your back!”

Contact our offices at (661) 771-3004 today to request your consultation.

A Firm You
Can Rely On

  • 19 Years of Experience in the Santa Clarita Valley in Your Corner
  • Attorneys Allen and Bridgeford Are Certified Workers' Compensation Specialists by the Board of Legal Specialization of the State Bar of California
  • Open Lines of Communication and Direct Attention from Our Dedicated Attorneys
  • Personalized Legal Care Where We Treat All Clients Like Family
  • We Take the Time to Listen to Your Needs During a Confidential Initial Assessment

Client Testimonials

  • They are exceptional at what they do.

    “I was a client for this law office a few years ago. I have nothing bad to say about Mr. Allen as well as Mr. Bridgeford. They are exceptional at what they do. I thank you all for helping when I needed it most!”

    Wendy G.

  • I would recommend Mark and his staff to anyone in need.

    “I was referred to Mark by a friend and after our consultation, I knew he had my best interest in mind. He fought for me and we were awarded a more than fair settlement. I would recommend Mark and his staff to anyone in need. A very good group of people”

    Mason U.

  • The Bridgeford Law Office has gone above and beyond!

    “The Bridgeford Law Office has gone above and beyond! Mark and his team has worked hard on getting treatment for my injury. If a procedure was denied by the insurance company, Mark and Emily are ready to work on getting medical care approved. I highly recommend this office for anyone who has a work related injury. Thank you Bridgeford Law Office for taking care of my claim.”

    Jose V.

  • Very pleased with this Law Office

    “Very pleased with this Law Office for Workmans Comp representation. Work hard and not a dime out of pocket. Would highly recommend”

    Joel C.

  • They made me feel like a person rather than a number.

    “Very nice, and made me feel like a person rather than a number. Thanks!”

    William Mount

Ceiling Lamp It's Never Too Late or Too Early
to Seek Legal Advice

Our firm is here for you when you need us. Connect with us at any time.

Turn to The Bridgeford Law Office, APC.

Get in Touch

Proudly Helping in Valencia
& Surrounding Areas


25060 Avenue Stanford,
Suite 285
Valencia, CA 91355
Map & Directions [+]

Schedule a Confidential Assessment
to Start Your Case Today!